300-075 actual test 70-346 answer pdf 70-533 key point 70-347 exam questions

History – BCC

Enter your keyword

History

History

Bangkok Christian College

 

• Bangkok Christian College was founded by a group of American Presbyterian missionaries on 30th September 1852 during the reign of King Rama IV, who granted them authority to buy two plots of land in the districts of Kudi Jeen and Samray The missionaries first began teaching Thai youths in Kudi Jeen, and in 1862, with Sinsae Ki-eng Qua Sean as headmaster, they moved from Kudi Jeen to a new location at Samray with the Reverend Stephen Mattoon as School Director.

• In 1900, in order to construct a new school, the missionaries purchased a site at Pramuan Road in the Silom district of Bangrak. It was sold to them by Chao Praya Surasak Montri (Jerm Saengchuto), and King Rama V donated a sum of twenty chang to assist them in purchasing the land. The new school was named Bangkok Christian High School, and teaching commenced in 1902 with Reverend John A. Eakin as the first School Director.

• In 1913, the Council of American Presbyterian Missionaries in the United States agreed to raise the status of the school from that of High School to College, and the school was re-named Bangkok Christian College or BCC for short. Subsequently in 1920, the school was accredited by the Thai Ministry of Education and granted the same status as a government school.

• In 1947, the Council of American Presbyterian Missionaries handed over the entire running of the school to the Church of Christ in Thailand.

• In 1968, the school chapel was built in the shape of Noah’s Ark. This Biblical image symbolises the survival of mankind, and serves as a haven in which students can develop spiritually and study the life and works of Jesus Christ.

• In 1982, the seven-storey Aree Semprasat Building was constructed. It was used as a primary school with special rooms for learning and teaching activities including a science laboratory, a meeting room, a typing room and a computer room.

• In 1993, construction of a new 16-storey building commenced. Its name, the Sirinat Building, was specially chosen by Her Royal Highness Queen Sirikit. The school was honoured when Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn graciously accepted its invitation to preside over the Opening Ceremony held on 10th July 1998.

• In 2000, construction commenced of a nineteen-storey building with two additional underground floors. It was to be used for Secondary level pupils, and it contained special rooms for various learning activities including a science laboratory, a library, a computer room, a large meeting room and a room for smaller seminars.